Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

Them: Jeez, you're not doing movies, too, are you??

Me: Can if I want.



Thirteen Movies I Love but Feel Compelled to Explain Why



  1. Notting Hill. And they lived happily ever after and had darling babies with British accents.

  2. Stage Door. All those rival starlets bitching and clawing. Hepburn's famous (stolen/borrowed) line "The calla lilies are in bloom again." Lucille Ball before Ricky. Ginger Rogers without Fred.

  3. Much Ado About Nothing. Exactly. The Italian sun on Vignamaggio and Shakespeare at play. Hey Nonny, Nonny.

  4. Shogun. The costuming! Scene after scene of culture clash, Anjin-san.

  5. A League of Their Own. Rosie O'Donnell and Madonna playing themselves playing baseball while you watch Geena Davis and Tom Hanks.

  6. The Long Kiss Goodnight. Every action-film trick in the book. Amnesia chick. Endangered child. Fast cars. Humorous sidekick. Big explosions. Guns galore. Evil, evil men. Neatly diced vegetables. Chefs do that.

  7. White Squall. A crew of preppy kids face the perfect storm with Jeff Bridges at the helm. A true story, honest.

  8. Donovan's Reef. Morality play on a tropical isle. With the exception of Dorothy Lamour, it's not the usual cast of island-dwellers: John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Cesar Romero, Jack Warden. And they live happily ever after, too.

  9. Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. The first 7 minutes. Food. Oh, the food!

  10. Drumline. Those drum cadences. Love 'em. The rest of the movie is several other movies I've seen.

  11. Mr. Holland's Opus. Mr. Holland does good and I love to watch him do it.

  12. Twister. Bill loves too much. Melissa. Jo. Dorothy. An F5 tornado. They will all try to kill him, but not one will succeed. But, hey--they live happily ever after, too! Well, maybe not Dorothy.

  13. The Addams Family and TAFValues. I know, that makes 14, but I always watch them together. "Don't torture yourself. That's my job." Morticia is my hero.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

1 comment:

Ronnie said...

You can do 'em all about movies as far as I'm concerned! Fun list!

GUH!